November 28, 2003

Hardly half the day has passed. I must be in a pretty reflective mood on tis rainy afternoon.

Love & dating...1

I noticed that the age for coupledom is becoming younger and younger. I saw a couple, whose age I wouldn't put past 15, when I was waiting at the bus stop. My, what was I doing when I was their age? Definitely not holding hands and embracing some guy taller than me by a head in public. In our time, ok, my time, 14 years old girls go to a lot of trouble to act nonchalant and even fierce in front of guyz they like. Didn't we? Much ado about nothing.

Envy. Because their particpation in coupledom begins so early, at an age when if they said, 'I love you's, they probably really mean it. Albeit not knowing yet how shallow their idea of love can be. But, their youth gives them the guts to sprinkle the 3 words like the huge rain that is outside my humble shelter now. Why would they care how others, like me, look at them when obviously being in love means cooping up in the LittleBubble4Two?

After a few falls in this school, the good thing is, we tend to begin to trust our idea of love is much more profound and encompassing and hence, cherish it better. Bad thing is that something that we so cherish, we won't give it easily.

Gone are the days in which boy comes up to girl and asks girl, 'hey, you wanna go steady?' and one day, in the same casual manner, 'Let's break'. Girl cries and girlfriends start spreading rumours in school that boy is a bastard. But, girl gets a steady the next week and the cycle is renewed.

How simple love and dating used to be!


Information and Technology...1

Do you have friends or family members who are practically 'unreachable' even though they are supposed to have their handphones with them where ever they are? I don't know why some people bothered to carry handphones when apparently their handphones are not serving their purpose in this techno-driven world.

Do you always follow up on missed calls, particularly those whose number you are familiar with? I don't know why some people can tell you 'I didn't call you back cos I don't know why you called me for' after being found out that they have been un-contactable. It's really lame. If you are only interested in being contacted on a telepathy level, why bother contributing to the annual profits of Singtel/M1/Starhub?

Do you find yourself having to 'chat' using SMS when you really just want to be left in 'silent' mode? I don't know why some people has no time to jog round the block but has all the time in the world to do finger (to b specific, thumb) exercises. Seriously, won't a lot of emergencies be better handled, feelings be better conveyed if you juz call the person and speak your mind instead of letting your thumb do the talking?

Technology has arrived to bring convenience. Why do I find that it has only made it more difficult for me to stay in touch with people, on a personal level?

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 15:31